Why winter is not the time to visit Iceland
Team Total Iceland already has written and warned about travels in Iceland during wintertime. Sadly, the tourism gold diggers in the country see little but dollar signs about bringing more people here in the colder months and advertise like there is no tomorrow. Sadder still, the official tourism agency in Iceland suffers the same acute problem on account of lobbyism.
We emphasize again: DO NOT TRAVEL TO ICELAND BEFORE APRIL AND AFTER SEPTEMBER IF YOU WISH TO LEAVE WITH ANY GOOD MEMORIES!!!
There you go… and here´s why:
- This green and extremely beautiful country turns hard and grey over the winter months. You will miss out on all the beauty.
- Hotels and tour operators have no idea about off-season and you will get no discounts from the regular high summer prices.
- The island is lifeless during the cold months and animal lovers or bird watchers will miss out.
- Most of the stunning and unique highland of Iceland is closed for all traffic.
- No matter what kind of tours or trips you get on in winter. At all times you will be too cold to enjoy them.
- The city streets of Reykjavik empty out during winter and instead of bustling life there´s hardly life anywhere.
- Travelling on your own in winter is dangerous and the roads are bad at the best of times.
- Many hotels and guesthouses out in the country close their doors completely in wintertime.
- Services outside of Reykjavik are limited to the extreme.
- There is 50/50 chance every day you will be stuck in your hotel on grounds of bad weather, snow or storms.
Want us to continue?
Get in touch with us if you want more detailed information about a specific area and we´ll help you out.